Saving a document as a PDF file
You can save a document in Portable Document Format (PDF). Then, it's easier to share the document with other people. For example, you can email the PDF or make it available for other users, such as the Public folder on your iDisk.
- Open the document you want to save as a PDF file.
- Choose File > Print.
- Choose a command from the PDF pop-up menu.
- To create a PDF file, choose Save as PDF. This creates a digital master PDF file. All graphics are at full resolution, and the file includes each font character it uses.
- To create a smaller PDF file, choose Compress PDF. This compresses some images in the file, and produces a PDF file that may be smaller than a digital master PDF. It's especially useful if you need to email the file or if you don't plan to print the file.
- To create an encrypted PDF file, choose Encrypt PDF and enter a password. Anyone who wants to open the PDF file will need to enter that password.
- To create a PDF-X file, choose Save as PDF-X. PDF-X is a subset of PDF that's used in the printing industry and contains the minimum information needed to print the document.
- To create a PDF file and use a PDF workflow to process it, choose the workflow's name.
You can also create a PDF file of a document by clicking the Preview button in the Print dialog, and then choosing choosing File > Save As in Preview.